Hello Sugarfoot! A young, new member to the BGH family hoping to break down a BLOCKAGE in our Community! As we have had time to ourselves this summer (World Wide Timeout I like to say), we can reflect that we all have to make changes to move forward, in all aspects of our lives. We have all been tested, and witnessed massive mental stresses that can sometimes feel overwhelming. I hope, by giving you knowledge about the different aspects of Mental health, it will be less heavy on your minds. So, let’s go!
What is Mental Health?
The first step to breaking up the overwhelming force that is Mental Health, is to understand what it is. Understanding the situation tells you what is friendly and what is not so friendly. The CDC says that, “Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act.” Everything within our minds, related to our minds, is an aspect of Mental Health. Mental health also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make healthy choices.1 Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood
So, we Know our mind is important and stays with us, how do we take care of it?
MARVELOUS question! The answer has many paths so any one can do it:
- Change the environment
- Do something pleasurable or relaxing for a little while such as reading, watching TV, or taking a shower. If you are at work, step outside for a few minutes and get some fresh air.
- Do relaxation exercises
- Sometimes known as progressive muscle relaxation, practice tensing and then releasing each of your muscle groups. If your body is physiologically relaxed, then you can’t be stressed.
- Go walking or running (something physically distracting)
- Exercise can be a great stress reliever. It helps you blow off steam and releases endorphins. Take a walk or go running. This will provide some perspective so you can return in a new frame of mind
- Express your feelings
- Write your stress away in a journal, take out your colored pencils and paper and focus your concentration on drawing, or have coffee with a trusted friend and just talk.
- Be in the moment with one of your senses
- Sight, smell, sound, and taste—you’ll be amazed how quickly the stress melts away when you focus on just one of them. Eat something that you crave and savor each bite. Light a scented candle and breathe in your favorite scent. Listen to a wonderful piece of music and let it take you away. Look at something beautiful in your surrounding that makes you stop and stare.
Congrats, you made the first step! Let me know below how you will work with Mental Health, and if you use any of the methods I listed here to relax. You can also join BGH to learn more about Mental Health here: membership.blackgirlhealth.com.