How many of us wanted to start a new diet or quit consuming something and thought the best way to do it was going cold turkey? My hand is raised because I know I have. Let me tell you, it was not easy! I’m going to give you my take on quitting soda cold turkey. I’m choosing soda because I am so deeply in love with Coca Cola that it’s crazy! So here are my pros and cons of quitting (Coca Cola) cold turkey.
- Clearer Skin: As you know soda has way too much sugar in it for people like me to consume multiple times a day everyday. When I quit drinking soda cold turkey, I had noticeably clearer skin over time.
- Energy: Reducing the amount of soda you intake can result in more energy. When I quit drinking sodas I felt so much more energized and alert. I didn’t feel as sluggish because of all of the sugar I was drinking.
- You Recognize Your Strength: When you decide you want to live a healthier life and that you want to do away with the unhealthy details, taking the first step to clean up your life can be hard. If you believe it you can achieve it.
- Withdrawals: Soda has sugar and caffeine, two things that are extremely difficult to let go of. Sometimes people experience headaches and irritability. When you quit arguably anything that you were so dependant upon, you have some form of withdrawals.
- It’s So Difficult!: When you love something it’s so hard to give it up, especially something that is so easily accessible and you use so often. Soda doesn’t cost much and it tastes good. I was drinking a Coca Cola way too often. I’d use my headaches as an excuse to drink the caffeine.
- The Cycle Is Too Easy To Fall Back Into: Sometimes quitting cold turkey makes it easier to fall back into the cycle of whatever it was you were trying to give up. In these situations, the use of whatever you quit so abruptly seems like a “not so bad” route to take. We all have that “I haven’t had a soda in so long, I can have this one,” moment and the next thing we know we’re back to drinking sodas with every lunch or every dinner. This is why many people prefer a moderational approach.
Alright, sis! You read my ideas on the pros and cons of going cold turkey. What do you think is best for you? Let us know in the comment section. To learn more, please follow Black Girl Health on Instagram and our blog.
If you would like to be a vendor the Black Girl Health Kickstart Expo, visit our website.