Hey sis! I hope all is well for you on this fine Thursday! So if you didn’t know, today is National Walnut day ( it is okay if you didn’t, I didn’t either until a week ago). In addition to that, if you weren’t aware walnuts have a lot of healthy benefits to eating them. They range from assisting with heart health all the way down to helping with weight management. So with all of those benefits why should they have a day? So in honor of national walnut day I am bringing you 7 fun recipes that I think you should try.
- Walnut chicken – Okay so is basically chicken with a walnut breading. But this is an excellent alternative to friend. As an addendum to recipe, i would recommend adding a little seasoning to the buttermilk marinade as well. Layering flavor in is always the best way to go!
- Frozen Yogurt Trail mix Bar – Okay so this is so cute and looks delicious! Froyo has always one of my favorite deserts so have a healthier homemade version will definitely help me kick my habit. Summer is coming and the Fourth of July is a ways away, but every great recipe needs a couple test runs first right?
- Walnut and roasted carrot hummus – so this is another cool snack idea that I’m all for. I love hummus but have always struggled to make it at home. However, this recipe take hummus to the next level and i’m here for it.
- Chocolate Walnut dipped strawberry popsicles – If you’re anything like me, you love something sweet. Popsicles made from strawberries and a little honey are definitely lighter fare and can help you curb those cravings. Actually the part of this recipe that is the least healthy is the chocolate but partially dipping the popsicle (instead of covering the whole thing) can let you get the taste you are looking for, all while keeping it as healthy as possible.
- Walnut, Mango, Spinach Salad – Walnuts on salad go together so well, especially with spinach. To be honest with you, you can take almost any fruit and add spinach and walnuts to it for a great salad. Today I decided mango. I think strawberries and blueberries are the norm so why not go for something a little tropical? Depending on where you live you may need some sunshine in your life right now!
- Tropical Walnut Smoothie – Now personally, I go mainly for fruits and vegetables in my smoothie but walnuts and tofu? Haven’t tried it, although I’m intrigued. When it’s a national holiday you gotta try something different right?
- Walnut Granola Pizza – okay so how cute is this! With summer coming this would be a cute addition to a bbq or even a great girls night snack. I also love that you make it into a pizza as well. This is sure to go over well with the kiddies!
So those are the 7 recipes i think you should try in order to celebrate national walnut day. If you do try them tag me on instagram @ChicNaturlNikki so I can see. Also, leave a comment below with some additional recipes that you’ve tried!
And don’t forget, Live your best life sis!