For the past 16 months I’ve been transitioning from relaxed hair to natural, and I’ve been doing so without weaves. While I’ve had set backs I’ve also had great results and learned important tips along the way. I’ve learned that the key to healthy hair and growth is Moisturize Moisturize Moisturize! However moisturizing isn’t enough, you have to lock it in by using a sealing agent like thick oil (organic preferred).
MY NATURAL HAIR TREATMENT STEPS
- Part hair into 4 sections.
- Apply generous amount of moisturizer of your choice (I use Cantu Shea Butter leave in conditioner).
- After applying moisturizer to all 4 sections apply a thick oil to each section going root to tip (I use Jamaican Black castor oil).
- Comb each section out with a wide tooth comb from tip to root.
- After hair is moisturized and seal you can braid or twist each section or put it in a pony tail for protective styling.
- Use satin scarf to tie your hair.
ACCEPTING NATURAL BEAUTY
For me going natural was the ultimate proof of accepting my natural beauty. 18 months ago I was the girl who said I would never ever go natural because it wasn’t for me. I realize that I had subscribed to a Euro centric beauty, if I could not see the beauty in my natural hair then I still had work to do within myself. I absolutely love my hair, it’s beautiful, but still a work in progress. I love this skin I’m in and when I look in the mirror after rolling out of bed with my head scarf on and no make up I say in my Beyonce voice, “I WOKE UP LIKE THIS, FLAWLESS.”