- Oil Gives Your Hair Moisture: This is a big conception. There are all kinds of moisturizers you can purchase from a store that will leave your hair well moisturized, but the best moisturizer is water. Make sure that if you choose to purchase a moisturizer is has water as its first or second ingredient. Oil then seals in that moisture, but oil is not a moisturizer.
- You Don’t Need to Wash Your Hair: This couldn’t be further from the truth! Our natural hair needs to be cleansed. It is true that, for some of us, we don’t need to wash our hair every single day and can wait a little longer without washing our natural hair, but we still need to. Depending on a person’s type of hair, one can wash everyday, every week, or even every other week. It depends on what works better for your particular hair, but you need to wash your hair.
- Going Natural Saves You Time: Although going natural is the healthiest option, it is not the most time saving option. Normally, going natural requires you to genuinely learn your hair which results in a time increase.
- You Should Never Use Heat: I personally used to think this and I couldn’t have been more wrong. You can straighten your natural hair but you need to protect your natural hair. When you cook with oil it heats up and can eventually burn. Don’t use oil as your heat protectant when you straighten your hair because you are essentially cooking frying your hair. Look up natural heat protectants you can use or find a heat protectant to protect your beautiful hair!
- Natural Hair Doesn’t Grow: Wrong! And may I say one more time….. WRONG! Natural Hair grows we just don’t always know how to retain the length from that growth. Some people have an abundance of shrinkage which doesn’t allow for us to see the true length we have, but natural hair really does grow.
Your natural hair is beautiful. Rock your crown, Queen! To learn more, please follow Black Girl Health on Instagram and our blog. If you would like to be a vendor the Black Girl Health Kickstart Expo, visit our website. Tickets are now on sale for the Black Girl Health Kickstart Health & Wellness Expo, visit here to purchase.