Hey sis! I hope things in your life are going well and manifesting into a life you love. When we talk about life we always talk about quantity over quality. No, I can’t blame anyone for wanting to live a long time but how are you living during those years? Anyone struggling with a chronic illness or infection like HIV can easily get caught up in the quantity over quality mindset. So today I thought that we could talk about some immune boosting foods that can help your body in its fight, and potentially help improve the quality of your life and the quantity at the same time.
Everyone knows that Vitamin C is very important to your immune health, but there are more ways to get healthy than just downing a bottle of orange juice each morning. There are many different types of foods that can help you get the vitamin C, and other nutrients that your body needs to fight of HIV and other types of sickness as well. Here are some examples, and delicious ideas to make them:
- Dark Chocolate – I told you we were improving quality right? A little dark chocolate can go a long way for your immune health. Make sure its 70% or more cocoa and eat in moderation. Even though Dark chocolate has quite a few health benefits, it’s also high in fat and calories.
- Blueberries – Okay so if I have not mentioned it yet blueberries are my favorite fruit. I love them because there is no cutting involved, and no leaves I have to take off. Reach in the fridge and grab a handful to throw on top of yogurt or granola cereal (maybe add a bit of dark chocolate too?) and if you don’t eat them all just toss in the freezer before they expire. They are packed with antioxidants and lazy girl approved.
- Broccoli – everyone’s favorite vegetable, Broccoli! Okay maybe not everyone, but when they say they don’t like it I ask them if they tried it roasted? My one side dish that everyone loves is my roasted vegetables. Olive Oil, Steak Seasoning, and an oven. Super easy, really delicious, and high in vitamin C to keep your immune system going.
- Sweet potatoes – OMG Yum! Sweet potato fries anyone? Easy to make and delicious, slicing up some sweet potatoes and baking them to make fries can be a great side or a fulfilling snack. Packed with vitamin A and beta carotene, this immune boosting and delicious snack will have you looking forward to eating it everyday.
- Spinach – We all learned from Popeye right? Spinach may not turn you into wonder woman, but let me just say that a green smoothie or a spinach salad could make your day! I love my smoothie with almond milk, mango, pineapple and spinach. What about you?
So those are 5 immune boosting foods and some recipe ideas to go along with them. What’s your favorite recipe with some of these ingredients? Also, you can also get more information on HIV/AIDS from the U.S. National Library of Medicine here at their MedlinePlus website.
Live your best life sis, and do everything you can to stay healthy while doing it!