Top Foods to Eat (and Avoid) for Uterine Fibroids:
Did you know that uterine fibroids
- occur in about 25% of women over age 35, and are 3 times more likely to occur in African-American women.
- may occur at a younger age, grow more quickly, and are more likely to cause symptoms in African-American women.
- can cause heavy menstrual bleeding and/or pelvic pain or bloating
- grow during pregnancy and with estrogen therapy
- decrease in size after menopause
Foods to Eat that may help reduce fibroids:
- vegan diet (no animal products)
- liver cleansing foods (because the liver processes excess hormones like estrogen): beets, carrots, artichokes, lemons, parsnips, dandelion greens, watercress, burdock root
- Morning detox drink: juice half a lemon and add to a cup of warm water, or fresh vegetable juices (carrot, spinach, beet, cucumber)
Foods to Avoid:
- estrogenic foods: animal products, yams, peanuts, soy, barley, wheat
- spicy, fried, fatty, rich and/or salty foods
- sugar, refined and processed foods
- alcohol, coffee